Thursday 13 November 2008

What was Drogba doing?


It wasn't until I arrived at uni this morning that actually I found out the Chelsea score, reason being I was too busy playing football myself at 9:05 last night. I had mixed emotions, one being surprise and the other very annoyed as it meant I lost my football accumulator. For those of you that are unaware of what a football accumulator is, it is a slip which can consist of as many matches as you want and you pick who you think will win. The more teams you pick to win the more the odds accumulate resulting in more money. Due to Chelsea losing, I missed winning £40!

It wasn't until I got home, soaked I may add as it was pouring down with rain the whole way, that I found out more about the game itself by switching on Sky Sports News. However, the headline was not what I was expecting. The headline read, "F.A launches Drogba probe". My first instinct was that he had made a reckless tackle or he had performed an inappropriate celebration after his goal. However, when the reporters continued with the story I was shocked to actually realise what he had done. In a statement issued on the club's website, Drogba said: "I tried to celebrate the goal and I received some things at me" "The big mistake I did was to throw it back so if someone was hurt I just want to apologise for it". To sum up what happened, he made a single fingered hand gesture before throwing a coin back into the Burnley section of the crowd.

He earns £100,000 a week, is idolised by youngsters around the world and then behaves like that, it's disgusting! There were no reports of any spectators being injured however if it had hit a young child then what would he have done?! Players each week get stick from the opposition supporters but you don't see them acting like that.

Since the incident, both the police and the FA have announced that he will face charges.

No comments: